Happiness is a funny little feeling isn’t it?
We all strive for it but we rarely know exactly how to get it.
Happiness is something I’ve struggled with for a long time, not to say I’ve not had anything to be happy about, I have an amazing family, a partner who’s also my best friend, a roof over my head, a steady long term job, but I’ve dealt with my fair share of heartache which has left me wondering how to get that positive outlook and feeling back.
So I devised a plan that I’m going to share with you on the 10 steps I now take to ensure I’m living my best life every day.
1. Start your day in a positive way – The main trick I found for this was to stop being so greedy of sleep – especially on work days, and set my alarm with plenty of time to get up, dressed, put some makeup on, do my hair and have a cup of tea before leaving for work instead of having “just another 20 minutes” leaving me rushing around.
2. Surround yourself with uplifting people, let go of toxic relationships – probably one of the most difficult ones I found. Its a lot easier said than done to let go of friendships, but I realised exactly who was important to me and now surround myself with the most amazing people that lift me up.
3. Make time for yourself – I try once a week to make some “me” time. Wether it be to have a long bath, pamper myself and cosy up with a book or movie, or to go out shopping, treat myself to lunch or go for a walk and just unwind. Make time for yourself in your busy schedule and look after number one. (YOU!)
4. Keep a gratitude diary – Investing in a bullet journal has been one of the best things i’ve done. I keep a note of all the positives and things I’m thankful for every day to look back on.
5. Live in the present, let go of the past – Personally, the most important step. I’m very good at sitting thinking about how things could have been, if only I had done this differently, or this instead, but ultimately this is the path I was supposed to take, and living in the present and looking forward to the future gives a new feeling of hope and positivity.
6. Do one good deed a day – One of the simplest things and also the most satisfying. You never know exactly how someones day is going, so I try to compliment someone every single day, whether it be on an item of clothing they are wearing or jewellery. Putting a smile on someone else’s face is sure to put a smile on yours too.
7. Create your own happy place – For me, this is my bedroom. It was the first room in the flat I made sure to decorate and make it feel cosy and welcoming, so on days I maybe feel like I don’t really want to interact with the world I’ll dim the lights, cosy up and watch movies. I instantly feel much better.
8. Eat well and exercise – So I’m still working on this one! I’ve realised grabbing quick and easy things to eat or a takeaway really doesn’t do me any favours and i start to feel crappy about my eating habits, so taking the time out to meal prep in advance something healthy, filling and easy makes me feel I’ve accomplished something. I also have a gym membership I know I need to make the effort to start using again. Working out releases those happy endorphins, and I know it made me feel good.
9. Make the effort – As with step 1, I’m making sure that regardless of wether I’m going to work, our for the day, or just sitting around, to make an effort with my appearance. I’m quite partial to the joggers and oversized tee every so often but I find that making an effort into styling an outfit and accessories or even just doing my hair or makeup will always brighten up my mood.
10. Fake it till you make it – I suffer from resting bitch face, even when im completely content and happy someone will tell me to cheer up or smile, and guess what, that’ll set me off in a bad mood. So even when I do feel crap, I’ve learnt to stick on a smile and just fake it, it surprisingly works and lifts your mood.
I’d love to hear everyone else’s steps or tricks, leave me a comment and let me know if you have any you live by.
Until next time